Welcome to Terrington Parish Council website. The next Council meeting will be on Monday 12 September at 7:30pm in the Village Hall. All parishioners are welcome to attend. The final meeting of the year will be on 14 November 2022.
All financial documents for the year to 31 March 2022, including the Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR), are now available on the Finance page.
Below you will find information about:
Submitted development sites
In order to revise the Ryedale District Plan, the District Council has invited submissions from landowners of suggested sites for development.
Click Submitted sites for information on sites submitted and for the opportunity to express your views.
The Ganthorpe sites are under Other villages (F-M).
The proposed sites are owned by Castle Howard Estate Ltd, area 6.51 hectares (16.1 acres) for about 90 units, site numbers 296a and 296b.
You can also read Castle Howard FAQs on its proposed new developments.
The Terrington sites are under Other villages (N-T). There are 2 suggested sites:
Land at South Back Lane east, landowner R Goodwill, area 0.4 hectares (0.99 acres) for about 12 units, Site number 261.
Land east of Mayfield Cottage, landowner Peter Goodwill, area 0.8 hactares (1.98 acres) for about 22 for units, Site number 267.
Follow the Sites consulation form link to express your views on any of the suggested sites.
Current planning applications
The following properties in the parish have submitted planning applications which are still open for comment. Terrington Parish Council is a statutory consultee and individuals can submit comments directly to Ryedale District Council. The following links to Ryedale DC Planning Register may be slow to load - be patient:
- Village Street, Ganthorpe Change of use, alteration, partial rebuilding and extension of agricultural buildings to form 1no. five bedroom dwelling together with substantial rebuilding of a detached adjacent agricultural building to form a plant/storage room and garaging and associated landscaping. Latest date for comments: 21 July 2022.
- The Lodge, Main Street Erection of outbuilding to form carport and garden store. Latest date for comments: 14 July 2022.
- Cotril Farm, New Road Change of use of agricultural land to a wild camping site for caravans and tents. Site to include siting of 6no. temporary toilet blocks and 6no. electrical hook up points to service 12no. pitches. Latest date for comments: 1 July 2022.
Issues from previous meetings
- Damage to grass verges The use of ‘do not drive/park on grass’ signage to discourage driving and parking on the grass verges is being considered.
- Speed limit on North Back Lane and 20's Plenty initiative The Council has received a complaint about the excessive speed of some drivers using North Back Lane and the safety implications it has for pedestrians and particularly, school children. The Council agreed to consider suitable signage to encourage responsible driving along Church Lane and North Back Lane. It is also looking further into the ‘20’s Plenty’ initiative.
- Village Signs There are a number of damaged and discoloured signs around the village and some advertising signs may not be lawful. The Council is looking into the regulations governing notices and advertising.
- Bridge over Sawmill Beck The bridge had become so dilapidated that North Yorkshire County Council had been forced to remove it in early 2021 and there was no prospect of it being replaced. Taking account of the level of use of the footpath on which the bridge is situated and noting that other possible sources of funding had already been explored, the Council has agreed to contribute £500 to the cost of a replacement which will meet current standards for accessibility and will continue to be the responsibility of NYCC. It is hoped the new bridge will be installed over this summer.
- Road markings and signage There has been no progress on painting the road markings on the centre of the road at the rise near Little Terrington, nor on signs on Mowthorpe Lane and Cliff Hill. The damaged Ganthorpe ‘no through road’ sign, on the corner of the main road and Sleigh Lane, has been replaced.
- Cemetery improvement work Necessary work on the stone boundary walls has been identified, trees need attention and more shrubs will have to be cut back. Reserves have been allocated to this and a plan of action is being discussed.
- Swift boxes The Council wrote to Ryedale District Council in May 2021 to request it to use its powers to encourage/require developers and planning applicants to include swift and/or other bird boxes/bricks in their developments. No response has yet been received.
Times of shop, post van, surgery
Terrington Shop opening times
Monday‑Friday 6.30am‑6.00pm Saturday 6.30am‑5.00pm Sunday 8.00am‑4.00pm
You can order over the phone on 01653 648848.
Post Office van in Terrington
Mon 08:30am‑10:00am Tues 1:15pm‑2:15pm Wed 11:00am‑12:00 noon Thur 11:45am‑12:45pm Fri 12:15pm‑1:15pm
Terrington Surgery Times
Mon 8:30am‑6:00pm Tues 8:30am‑1:00pm Wed 8:30am‑6:00pm Thur 8:30am‑12:00 noon Fri 8:30am‑6:00pm
Links to other web sites of interest
The links below open the web pages in a new tab.
- Terrington Archive - has maps and walks together with a range of other information about the parish
- Terrington Village Hall
- Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- North York Moors National Park