The charges and code of conduct for the Cemetery are given here:
Draft documents for consideration at the next Parish Council meeting
- Draft Cemetery Regulations
- Draft Cemetery Code of Conduct
- Draft Cemetery Fees 2022
- Draft Deed of Grant for Burials
- Draft Deed of Grant for Ashes
History of the Cemetery
Mowthorpe Lane Cemetery was created in 1905 by a Joint Burial Authority, comprising Terrington Parish Council and Ganthorpe Parish Meeting, for residents of Terrington and Ganthorpe, succeeding the Churchyard which had served all residents up to then. The acre of land was provided by the Lord of the Manor, the 9th Earl of Carlisle, having previously been farmed by Thomas Goodwill. The walls which surround the burial ground were built by mason John Goodwill from stone and sand supplied by Castle Howard at 6d a load. The first burial took place in November 1905 but the new bier, now needed to transport burials from the church to the cemetery, didn’t arrive till two weeks later.
The cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Beverley in November 1907 and has continued to receive residents of the parish ever since.